I love cranberry sauce for its tangy goodness, high antioxidants, and its versatility. We use this tangy sauce for the Thanksgiving and Christmas, plus use any leftovers to make Cranberry Chicken Fingers (from pg.136 in The Healthy Gluten Free life) and I even use it to make zesty Cranberry Vinaigrette (from pg.257 in The Healthy Gluten Free Life). With so many ways to enjoy this healthy little berry, you might want to double this recipe!
- 4 C Fresh or frozen organic cranberries (about two 12oz bags)
- 2 C 100% Organic apple juice
- 1 C Pure Maple Syrup (or coconut nectar or ½ c of each)
- Zest of 1 orange
- Juice of 1 orange
- 1) Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan over medium heat. Brink liquid to a boil.
- 2) Turn heat to medium low and simmer about 18 minutes, stirring occasionally, until cranberries have “popped” and sauce starts to thicken.
- 3) Remove from heat and let cool to allow sauce to thicken more.
- -Make sure to zest your orange before juicing it!
- -If you like your sauce even thicker, make a slurry of 1 TBSP Arrowroot starch and a little cold water. Add to sauce the last 1 minute of cooking. Do not add too soon or the sauce will thicken and then thin out again.