Father’s day is quickly upon us and when I think about my dad, I think about snacks. He’s a snacker. Always was, always will be. I remember, when I was little, he would plow through a snack craving until it was exhausted, then move on to the next. Now, back then it was the not so good for you treats…cinnamon bears (can you say high fructose corn syrup and red #40?), then the giant Hershey Bars with almonds (hey, at least he was eating a nut!), and I can’t forget the month long, yogurt-covered almond phase of 1987. Ahhh, the sugar coated memories.
These days, after years of hounding from his loving family, he chooses – most of the time – a little healthier snack to satisfy those cravings. One of his favorites is a quick and easy, sweet and crunchy snack our family created (and has adapted to a million different varieties) – Vanilla Maple Walnut Pecan Crunch! So I made my special Dad a batch and wanted to share the recipe with you. Snack on Dad!
- 1 C Raw Walnuts and Pecans (I use about half of each, but feel free to use any ratio you'd like)
- 1/3 C Pure Organic Maple Syrup
- 3/4 C Organic, Unsweetened Coconut Flakes (the fat flakes, not finely shredded)
- 1/2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1) Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2) In a medium bowl, toss all ingredients together, making sure everything is coated in the syrup.
- 3) Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Pour nut/syrup mixture onto the parchment paper and spread evenly.
- 4) Bake 15 - 20 minutes or until everything is golden brown and bubbling. The longer you cook it, the crispier it will be. If you want a chewier snack, bake it about 10-12 minutes.
- 5) Cool pan completely on a wire rack.
- 6) Break into pieces (if necessary) and store in an airtight container for up to a week. But it will never last that long!