The Holiday Season is filled with lots of bad food and bad choices…but…with a little planning, it can be filled with scrumptious, healthy, flavorful foods that are also free of gluten! For any Holiday gathering, or maybe just because it’s Tuesday, you can’t go wrong with a yummy chocolate dessert, made from scratch of course so that you can control the ingredients – and YOUR safety.
We made this yummy grain free Peppermint Chocolate Cake for Christmas dessert this year, but it could easily be served at your New Year’s Party as well! Or remove the peppermint extract, add a little almond extract, garnish with sliced almonds, and you’ve got yourself an “Any Occasion” cake that everyone will love, including those who think gluten free is tasteless.
For those who can’t tolerate eggs, please check back as I have a gf, df, ef version in the works as I type! I will post it as soon as I can. Enjoy!
- 2/3 C Coconut Flour
- 1/3 C Blanched Almond Flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1/3 C Unsweetened Organic Cocoa Powder
- ½ tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 9 Large or Extra Large Organic Eggs
- 1 TBSP Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 C Pure Organic Maple Syrup (you can add more if you like it sweeter)
- 1 C Coconut Oil, melted
- 1) In a small bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.
- 2) In a stand mixer, blend wet ingredients until fully combined.
- 3) Slowly add dry ingredient mixture to the blended wet ingredients. Mix on low until combined. Turn mixer to high and mix for 30 seconds or so.
- 4) Grease or spray two 9” cake pans. Pour batter evenly into both cake pans.
- 5) Bake in a 350° oven for 25-30 minutes, or until tops are firm, spring back slightly to the touch, or when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 6) Cool in pans for 10 minutes, then invert cake pans onto cooling racks, tap the bottoms of the pans to release the cakes. Cool cakes completely on cooling racks.
- 7) Frost with your favorite frosting, ganache (recipe follows) or sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- 8) To assemble, place one cake on a serving plate. Spread some ganache over the cake, smoothing evenly with a spoon. It’s good to let some drip over the sides.
- 9) Place remaining cake on top of first layer. Spread more ganache evenly over top layer. Garnish with crushed gluten free candy canes. Serve!
- 1 C GF DF Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips (Enjoy Life works well)
- ½ C Lite Coconut Milk
- ½ tsp Pure Peppermint Extract
- 1) In a small saucepan heat milk until it starts to bubble around the edges.
- 2) Add in chocolate chips and extract, remove from heat.
- 3) Whisk until smooth and combined. Use immediately to frost cakes, cookies etc. or store in a jar with a tight fitting lid in the fridge or freezer. Heat in microwave to use.