Yesterday was a little cooler and rainy which tends to make me want to snack more. Apparently I feel the need to store calories and be prepared for a famine when the weather cools off.
To satisfy my chocolate craving but with something semi-substantial, I decided to doctor up one of my favorite on-the-go snacks from Paleo People. They have a wonderful line of oat-free, grain free granolas that are absolutely delicious. For my concoction I chose the Banana Nut Granola because, as I’ve mentioned before, I do love the chocolate/banana combo!
The granola is amazing on it’s own, but I wanted to take it up a notch by adding in toasted coconut flakes, a drizzle of dark chocolate and a sprinkle of pink Himalayan sea salt. The results were better than I’d hoped!!
We devoured ours very quickly, and by “we” I mean me. So be careful and portion this one out since it’s easy to over-do in one sitting. Have fun!
- 1 pkg (5 oz) Paleo People Banana Nut Granola (http://www.paleopeople.com/)
- ¼ - 1/3 C Dark Chocolate (72% or higher – amount depends on how chocolaty you want it)
- 1/3 C Unsweetened Organic Coconut Flakes
- Pinch of Sea Salt (I used Pink Himalayan Sea Salt)
- 1) Line a small baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread granola evenly on paper.
- 2) Place chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and heat in the microwave, for 20 second increments, stirring each time, until chocolate is almost completely melted. Remove from microwave and stir until completely melted.
- 3) Spread coconut flakes evenly on another baking sheet. Bake in a 350° oven for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until coconut is evenly toasted.
- 4) Stir toasted coconut into the Banana Granola.
- 5) Drizzle melted chocolate evenly over coconut/granola mixture.
- 6) Sprinkle top with a tiny amount of sea salt.
- 7) Cool at room temperature until chocolate hardens, or if you just can’t wait, place in the fridge until chocolate firms up, about 30 minutes.
- 8) Break into pieces. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.