This is a variation of my Dutch Oven Pork Roast recipe that appeared in my book, The Healthy Gluten Free Life. I wanted to add a little more flavor, a little more kick to the original, so I swapped out the yellow onion for a red onion, and added two jalapenos. I also had lots of time this morning (Wow! That never happens!) so I took advantage and popped this ginormous roast in the slow cooker so I didn’t have to think twice about dinner tonight. So. Very. Happy!
We like to serve it over seasoned spaghetti squash, or my favorite, lettuce wrap tacos! Just top with some diced tomatoes, maybe a few sliced black olives, and some avocado, and you’re all set. Leftovers are great heated in a skillet with some coconut oil, and then served with a fried egg on top. Or sautéed with some chopped spinach and diced sweet potatoes for a paleo hash! The options are endless.
- 1 5lb Pork Roast (I used pork butt)
- 2 TBSP coconut oil
- Sea Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 C Water
- 1 medium red onion, quartered
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 2 jalapeno peppers, cored and seeded, roughly chopped (leave more seeds & ribs for a spicier salsa)
- 3 TBSP Olive Oil
- 3 TBSP Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3 TBSP Honey
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Rosemary
- 2 tsp Granulated Onion
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 2 tsp Sea Salt
- Freshly Ground Pepper to taste
- 1) Rub roast with salt and pepper. Set roast aside.
- 2) In a food processor, puree salsa ingredients until blended but still slightly chunky.
- 3) Heat coconut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork roast and brown on all sides.
- 4) Place roast in a large (6-7 qt) slow cooker. Pour salsa over the top of the roast. Pour water around the roast, being careful not to wash the sauce off of the top of the roast.
- 5) Place lid on the slow cooker. Cook on high 5-6 hours or low 7-8 hours. Shred the roast, in the slow cooker, with two forks. Serve and enjoy!
- I actually like to pour the salsa into the hot skillet after I remove the roast, to deglaze the pan. Then I pour the salsa from the pan into the slow cooker. And extra step if you'd like to add a touch more flavor.